Babies are precious gifts, and we must take special care of them. They require our undivided attention, love, care and protection. Therefore, when they have sinus drainage issues due to illness or allergies, it can be heartbreaking for parents as they see their little ones struggle.
Sinus drainage in babies is common and often caused by allergens like pollen or dust mites that irritate the baby's nasal passages. However, it may also be due to bacterial infections like colds which make sinuses inflamed leading to thicker mucus production.
In this guide on how to help a baby with sinus drainage (1) , I will discuss remedies aimed at unblocking congested nose passage(s) (2) . So get ready because below is some valuable information you need.
Signs Your Baby Has Nasal Congestion
It is essential first that you understand the signs when your baby has nasal congestion (3) . Here are some clear indications:
- Blocked nose at night causing difficulty breathing while sleeping.
- Irritability due to discomfort.
- Noisy breathing caused by constricted airways during feeding time.
- Difficulty breastfeeding for infants since they cannot breathe through their nose while nursing.
If you notice any of these signs in your baby’s behavior, then chances are high that she might have nasal congestion issues. In such cases follow these steps;
Ways To Clear The Nasal Passages Of A Congested Baby
Elevating Her Head During Sleep
Elevating her head position can minimize blockages within four hours preventing further complications such as ear infection or pneumonia caused by aspirated secretions from flowing back into her lungs (4) .
Tip: Put a pillow directly under the mattress.
Steam inhalation therapy works best in clearing up those tiny adobes clogged in baby’s nostrils (5) . Here are easy steps to do it:
Go to your bathroom, and turn the hot tap on.
Close all windows and doors so that steam cannot escape rooms.
Hold your child while sitting comfortably in a high chair or infant car seat then bring him closer over steaming water using the following methods below;
i) Put a towel over his head with gentle supports around his neck area preventing escaping vapor escaping from sides as he breathes deep strokes of air through nozzles for proper inhalation effects of steam therapy than essential oils drops such as peppermint, eucalyptus or lavender oil not recommended child aged less than six months old (6) .
Tip: Remember cosmetic creams like petroleum jelly tends clog pores making conditions worse instead use saline solution droplets instead.
Saline nasal drops come handy when babies experience uncomfortable congestion days where they may feel stuffy throughout the day; it does help to thicken mucus production easing future drainage processes helping them rest better at night reducing their coughs symptoms (7)
Tips: Always remember follow age-appropriate doses giving right amount for healthy body metabolism processing affects also ensuring maintaining hygiene standards cleaning dropper nozzle regularly using sterile tissues daily (8) .
Antibiotics should be used alongside other decongestants if found having bacterial infections causing sinusitis felt blockage persisting longer periods due thicker clearer discharge yellowish-greedish colors rather nonspecific lighter whites one typically caused allergic reactions dust mites pollen consumed into nasal passages drying producing larger clumps ((9)). Its side effect may occasionally cause diarrhea, stomach cramps accompanied by vomiting might affect biomes ensuring positive oral flora growth promoting immunity boosting cutting external allergies sensitivity dramatically decreasing respiratory disease recurrence rates in toddlers before adolescence maturity age-old onset cycles ((10)). Here are a few points to note when taking antibiotics:
- Ensure you follow the precise dosage.
- Do not let your child stop taking medications unless advised by a pediatrician.
- Give on an empty stomach or between meals with plenty of water.
Humidifiers comes in both warm and cool mist varieties used alleviate dehydrated dried-up nasal hidden tears ducts, raspy voice within humid environs where secretion process allowed heating liquids releasing escaped vapor consistently maintaining ideal hydration levels beneficial for babies skin respiratory functions more especially preemies who were born extremely earlier than thirty-five weeks sure able reach due development delays dealing long-term treatment risks (11). They relieve home dryness releasing moisture helpful supporting evidence base ((12)).
Tip: Don't forget always cleaning properly following specific manufacturer instructions, avoid using filtered mineral essence additives as they might cause lungs damage emitting hazardous particles effective indoor air purification standard basic maintain excellent baby hygiene conditions ensuring parents health outcomes (13)
Babies require significant care and attention during their developmental processes; sinus drainage issues can be quite challenging. However, be assured that remedies provided here will help unblock congested nasal passages, which helps your little ones sleep well at night easing worries of chest infections accompanied coughing discomforts reducing future allergic reactions causing great relief improving parental guardian symbiotic positive psychological stimulation expressions enhancing empathy responses decreasing cortisol enzyme levels enabling increased enjoyable bonding moments ((14)) going forward.
- "Congestion." MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia.
- "Infanthood." Dictionary.com., Link,
- Bauer, Maryann et al.“Sinusitis.” Journal of Family Practice vol .60 no.5 (2011).
- Di Marzo University Hospital Turin Italy “Nasal Natural Killers Netted by Clear-blocking Effects Induced By Lactobacilli Against Rhinovirus Infection. “(2019) https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1007910
- "Steam Inhalation Therapy For The Relief Of Congestion Symptoms." MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. 6 . Scroach, James H., and Meredith Griffiths.“The Role of Essential Oils in Nasal Irrigation: A Review of the Literature.”The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine vol 13 (2007). 7.McLean, Mark E et al.“Appropriate use of saline nasal drops in children for symptomatic relief during the day when infant congestion is present but not dangerous” BMJ volume 371 (2020) 8.Hauser, William A et al.“Nasogastric tube function and safe medicine administration.” BioMed Central journal PeerJ Volume 2 Issue December (2014) 9.Nelson, Jennifer D et la vega Are antibiotics indicated as adjunctive therapy for acute uncomplicated sinusitis? American Family Physician volume 80 issue12-15(2009). 10.Tickleman Jenny K.Antimicrobial Therapies for Acute Rhinosinusitis: Systematic Review Pediatrics Vol142 Issue3(2018): e20173798 doi: 10.1542/peds 11.Roger L Gebhart Humidifiers And Health Infectious Disease Clinics CarbondaleHospitals & Health Networks no25 JSTOR ,Link 12.Cotell IA humidifier-associated Legionnaires' disease Bull N Y Acad MedNov55 iss10467(1979) PubMed PMID Link 13.Sungkyunkwan University School Of Medicine Quality Indoor Air Management Practices Science Directvscna//contentembed-wkmedcp-sciencedirect-com.pdf#viewer.action=download&pdftoolbar=true&type=pdfresources Research GateinkhumWikipedia Link 14.William Sears M.D., and Martha Sears R.N.“The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby From Birth to Age Two”Little, Brown ,1993)